HelpSpot Help Desk Software | HelpSpot Blog | HelpSpot Support

4.8.21 installer cant connect to Database Server

I am attempting to update my HelpSpot from 4.8.19 to 4.8.21 on Windows 2016 running IIS and MS SQL 2016. When doing so the installer finds the 4.8.19 install and gives an option for upgrade. It then asks for the HelpSpot DB Username and User Password. Not any single account will connect. It always pops up a message saying:

“The installer was not able to connect to the database server. Please make sure that the password is correct and the server is running.”

I have verified a number of times that the accounts are valid and accurate by logging in with SQL Server Manager using said accounts. I am stuck and not sure what to go.

Details:
The MS SQL 2016 server is local
Reboots were done
HelpSpot is running under IIS

INSTALLER LOG
Log started 02/18/2020 at 10:02:12
Preferred installation mode : win32
Trying to init installer in mode win32
Mode win32 successfully initialized
[10:02:14] ########## BEGIN DETECTING EXISTING INSTALLATION ##########
[10:02:14] Installed version: 4.8.19
[10:02:14] Upgrading to version: 4.8.21
[10:02:14] Installation directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\helpspot
[10:02:15] Detected Database Server: mssql
[10:02:15] Update MySQL: 0
[10:02:15] Detected HTTP Server: iis
[10:02:15] Domain: helpdesk.company.com
[10:02:15] Web name: helpspot
[10:02:15] ########## END DETECTING EXISTING INSTALLATION ##########
Could not find registry key . Setting variable mssql_instances to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Tools\ClientSetup Path. Setting variable mssqlclient_binary_directory_init to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Tools\ClientSetup Path. Setting variable mssqlclient_binary_directory_init to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\ClientSetup Path. Setting variable mssqlclient_binary_directory_init to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\ClientSetup Path. Setting variable mssqlclient_binary_directory_init to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\ClientSetup Path. Setting variable mssqlclient_binary_directory_init to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\ClientSetup Path. Setting variable mssqlclient_binary_directory_init to empty value
Executing -U “sa” -P "
***" -S “127.0.0.1,1433” -Q “”
Script exit code:

Script output:

Script stderr:

Unknown error while running -U “sa” -P “" -S “127.0.0.1,1433” -Q “”
Executing -U “sa@.” -P "
” -S “127.0.0.1,1433” -Q “”
Script exit code:

END LOG

Thanks,

Eric

Hi Eric,
It looks like the updater can’t find the SQL Server Command Line Tools. Try downloading those tools from here first https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/tools/sqlcmd-utility?view=sql-server-ver15 and then run the installer.

Matt,

I did have an older version of the SQL comand line tools installed. I did upgrade to the latest, but it made no difference, I still got the exact same error and the exact same message in the logs.

Eric

Matt,

Ok you were correct. You answer lead me to look at the registry. My tools had a path defined in the registry in all locations except where the installer was looking. So I just created a Path string under /100/Tool/ClientSetup and copied the path from /130.

This worked and I was able to upgrade.

Thanks for the assist.

Eric