HelpSpot Help Desk Software | HelpSpot Blog | HelpSpot Support

Best Practices for Approving Tickets

Greetings all… does anyone use this product in a publicly owned company that has to comply with Sarbanes Oxley standards?

My main concern is having support tickets approved prior to being worked on, when necessary.

Thanks!

Others may have more specific details, I can tell you though that we do have many public companies using the system. If you need to run approvals first one way you could structure things would be to create a secondary inbox using filters. Have a first tier of support people who are in charge of sorting new inbox requests into “approved” and “unapproved” piles if you will.

If they approve something they could set a status that was “approved for work”. You’d then have a filter that showed all unassigned, open requests, with the status of “approved for work”. The rest of the staff would then work off this inbox. You can even add the “take it” column so it works just like the inbox.

There’s other ways to achieve this effect as well, this is just one example.

Sounds simple. Will I need to use a 2nd email address, because I would like to avoid that. Poked around a bit, but I wasn’t sure about that.

Also, are the links along the left specific to the logged in user when viewing workspace, or is the inbox shared between all staff?

Also, is there a way to auto-assign status instead of category?

Ah, a simpler solution appears to be making the user a Level2 user, so they don’t even see the inbox, just their own queue. Should have caught this at first.

Great, yeah there’s many different things you can do to change the flow. Using Level 2 users should work. Also some companies just make it more a training issue about which queue to use, though if you want to completely block them that would do it.

You shouldn’t need a second mailbox.

You can’t auto-assign status directly, but if you’re dealing only with email you could use Mail rules to do it. Set it up so any email gets a status of X. I think it would work to do that by setting no conditions. Mail rules only apply on new emails which is what you’d want.

You’ll probably want to make the new inbox a global filter so it’s available to all users