HelpSpot Help Desk Software | HelpSpot Blog | HelpSpot Support

Blank Install Page

Ian,

I submitted this as a request but I am getting a blank install.php page…

This may be caused by SELinux or other permissions issues. This is being installed on a fresh install of Redhat Fedora. (Eye am-ay inux-Lay oob-Nay)

I can give you full access to this test machine if you need it.

Got Zend OPTIMIZER installed?

Heh, it is Fedora. For some reason I didn’t make the connection in your request Collin.

I’m thinking it’s either a permissions thing or perhaps that something is up with PHP. It could be the Zend Optimizer as well, but that usually displays an error message telling you to get the optimizer if it’s not installed.

BTW how is your install going Nola?

I sent you a message… but I don’t know my license and customer ID ??? did I get in an email? our email server at work crapped out. This mrnicksgirl.11568522@bloglines.com is where I can be contacted meanwhile.

Nola’s right Collin you need the Zend Optimizer. Not sure why it isn’t giving an error to that effect, I’ll have to look into that. In any event that will need to be installed first. The directions and URL is here:

http://www.userscape.com/helpdesk/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=3

Nice job Nola :wink:

Yes it was emailed to you, I’ll resend it.

I think Zend is there :-\ I have no doubt that it’s a permissions issue. http://67.8.199.189/ has phpinfo(); thrown in it.

oh ok… Zend is installed but not “Zend Optimizer”?

Yes it must specifically say Zend Optimizer. I had that same problem too, I saw a Zend icon and thought, oh I have it! … but nope! I had to get the admin guy to install it. He had a problem, if it doens’t work, to check the additions it makes to the php.ini He had placed it with a symbolic link, but it didn’t like that. He had to edit the php.ini manually and set the right path.

Yes, I don’t like how they do it at all but there’s no controlling it. It should say Zend Optimizer on it’s own line clearly instead of with the other Zend “stuff”.

Collin, the other Zend stuff mentioned is basically just the PHP core. Zend essentially sponsors PHP development.

Well Nola, I think I am having that same problem. I will try changing the path. I tried manually installing it first which didn’t work well then I did the installer which definatly made some changes. now Zend Optimizer just doesn’t want to show up… All of the versions look like they are compatible.

I feel lame being such a retard at trouble shooting this stuff because the only person I can turn to is probably one of the top 10 networking guys in the country… :frowning:

Collin,

The problem is definetly that the Zend Optimizer is not installed or not installed correctly. I took a look at your phpinfo page and this is what’s in the zend box:

“This program makes use of the Zend Scripting Language Engine:
Zend Engine v2.0.4-dev, Copyright © 1998-2004 Zend Technologies
with Zend Extension Manager v1.0.8, Copyright © 2003-2005, by Zend Technologies”

But you need something like this:

“This program makes use of the Zend Scripting Language Engine:
Zend Engine v2.0.4-dev, Copyright © 1998-2004 Zend Technologies
with the ionCube PHP Loader v2.4, Copyright © 2002-2003, by ionCube Ltd., and
with Zend Extension Manager v1.0.8, Copyright © 2003-2005, by Zend Technologies
with Zend Optimizer v2.5.10, Copyright © 1998-2005, by Zend Technologies

It’s that last extra line that indicates the Optimizer is installed.

Perhaps a cautionary note within the installation instructions, it seems that I’m not the only one who might have glossed over this one.

Perhaps something along the lines of “You must ensure that not just the Zend Scripting Language Engine is installed, but that the Zend Optimizer is also installed.”

or perhaps a graphic image of a phpinfo() results set with the Zend logo (like you currently have) that has ONLY the engine showing, and annotate that this is WRONG, with an explanation leading to the current image in the docs.

Just a thought.

-KHD

Great minds think alike! Actually I added a note that it says Zend in the box 4 times but that you need to find the right Zend. I also adjusted the image and put a red line below the Zend Optimizer line. If you get a chance take a look and let me know if it’s clear enough now.

http://www.userscape.com/helpdesk/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=1

Also let me confirm that if you’re getting the blank page then the problem is definitely that the Zend Optimizer is either not installed or not installed correctly. In the next beta build a message will appear instead of the blank screen.

It was actually a bug that causes the blank white screen instead of the Zend message. That bug is fixed.

Yep… I think the red unlerline should be sufficient. The real test will be new installations going forward. :slight_smile:

-KHD

Yeah. Actually I’m adjusting the installation to take care of several issues that came up in this first week of beta testing. The new build which comes on out Monday morning should eliminate several of the problem areas.

This is what the beta’s for though and I’m amazed and thankful for all the time the beta testers have put in on helping me track down these bugs. There’s already a nice little community forming which is great to see.

I downloaded the latest beta and still getting the “WHITE SCREEN OF DEATH” (hehe sorry, its friday) … I modified the config file to include vars for my database. I filled out the page with my name, email, customer number, license file, etc.

Next screen is white. :frowning: (viewed source and its completely empty)

I think we have the issue. You’re on a very old PHP (4.2 if I recall). HelpSpot uses the function file_get_contents which was introduced in 4.3. Also there are other incompatibilities with older PHP versions. You’ll need to upgrade to run HelpSpot. It’s recommended of course that you move to one of the latest versions 4.3.10 or 4.4.

I think that I have PHP 5 actually… but I couldn’t get Zend Opt installed for some reason… Unfortunately got to wrapped up in work to play with it more. :frowning: