HelpSpot Help Desk Software | HelpSpot Blog | HelpSpot Support

Block email addresses, or stop autoreplies from looping?

It seems as though our system is sending out a confirmation email, which the user then auto responds, which are system sends out a confirmation email, which the user then auto responds, etc etc. I think that is what is happening, though I can’t tell for sure. Perhaps there is a way to stop this or simply block the senders email address?

Hi Norm,

That can happen. The system tries to detect that, but if the customers auto responder customizes the message each time (say with a timestamp) so that it’s different each time (even a little) then the message get through because the system has to presume it’s a new message.

You can stop the email checking for a few minutes, manually enter the mailbox, delete the customers auto response, wait a few minutes and then startup the email checking again. That should fix it. Move any unwanted responses to the trash.

I’m still very new to your software. Can you tell me how I stop the email from checking? Thanks!

Sure, the easiest way if you’re not too familiar with your server would be to rename tasks.php to something else (tasks-temp.php). Then name it back. Alternatively if you’re a “server guy” you can stop the cron (on linux) or the automated task (on windows) and then turn the automation back on when you’re ready.

Well, actually that’s not the absolute easiest way now that I think about it (doh it’s Monday!).

Go into Admin->Mailboxes and set the email box to inactive. Then when you’re ready set it back to active. That’s much safer than what I describe above.

Hi Norman,

If you’re sending out a lot of generic messages with HelpSpot as the From then you are probably better off turning off the auto responder since you’re going to get lots of auto replies and bounces not just once in a while.

I think I understand. What you want to do is make a filter (Workspace->Filter Requests) and using the conditions try and match all the auto replies. You should probably put a time limit on (say opened in the last 24 hours) and perhaps use the history search condition to find them all by a common phrase they contain. Then save the filter.

You’ll then be on the filters result page, from there if they all match you can go to the bottom of the table of results and check the last checkbox in the table which will check all the requests for you. You can then select move to trash from the drop down and move them all there at once.