Just getting to grips with HelpSpot - looks like a terrific piece of software.
One question I have concerns calculated fields. I have not seen a Custom Field type for this, so I assume they are not supported by default.
But consider the following scenario:
- I have Custom Field X, which has an integer (14000)
- I have Custom Field Y, which contains a unit (say: 0.9)
Problem: I need X * Y in my HelpSpot system. (Yes. I am aware that an Excel export is a workaround, but bear with me…)
- I then create a Custom Field Z as an AJAX field.
- I then write a small script that - via Live Lookup - simply adds the values sent together and returns the amount in XML
- I can then add this information simply by clicking
The lookup would run whenever field Z is empty.
My questions therefore are:
- Does this work? :=)
- In particular, Live Lookup is primarily targeted at CRM, but does it simply work as well for this kind of “dynamic issue field” situation
I think this kind of functionality is amazingly powerful and would be very interested to know if this scenario works, since I can also think of other scenarios where it would also be very useful indeed.