HelpSpot Help Desk Software | HelpSpot Blog | HelpSpot Support

Empty database password

The installer won’t accept an empty database password (mysql). Any workaround?

I’d recommend using a password for security’s sake. You can easily create a MySQL user and password from the command-line client. Type in the commands between the mysql> prompt and the semi-colon (;).

mysql> create database helpspot;
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> grant all privileges on helpspot.* to ‘helpspot’@‘localhost’ identified by ‘moof’ with grant option;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.11 sec)

mysql> flush privileges; quit;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.04 sec)

Bye

So what this did was create a new database named ‘helpspot’, grant all privileges to the database to a user named ‘helpspot’, which is only allowed to connect from the same machine (localhost) with the password ‘moof’.

One additional step I always take, which isn’t necessary, is to run the old_password routine for that user. This is due to a change in password handling between MySQL versions. It’s merely for backwards compatibility, because some applications which access MySQL may use the older password mechanism (I don’t know if HelpSpot does or not, I imagine it uses the newer mechanism.)

mysql> set password for ‘helpspot’@‘localhost’ = old_password(‘moof’);
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> flush privileges; quit;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.04 sec)

Bye

But again, not necessary. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps!

Hi Dimitris,

I’m guessing that the issue is your installing it on your local desktop machine to try it out and don’t have a db password on there.

In any event I don’t have a good work around for you on that one. I would rather not remove the empty password field check. Best advice would be to create a special HelpSpot user as chris indicated it should only take a few seconds to add.

Chris thanks for the info! I understand it’s always good to use passwords, but it’s as Ian guessed: this is on my personal machine, purely for testing reasons! So I’m using root / nopass user for everything.

Anyway I’ll just make a new user!