HelpSpot Help Desk Software | HelpSpot Blog | HelpSpot Support

Gmail pop3

Hello.

I’m trying to get our helpspothosting installation to check a gmail account. Has anyone had any luck with getting this set up? I get the following in the error logs:

Cannot connect to twttr.support@pop.gmail.com #IMAP Errors-> Can’t open mailbox {pop.gmail.com:995/pop3/tls/novalidate-cert}INBOX: invalid remote specification

All the settings are correct as per Gmail’s documentation.

Thanks,
jack.

Sure in fact we use one for testing. I think you have 2 things wrong. First is that you need to select pop3s second is that you should use SSL no-validate in the security setting. Also for username you should be using the full email address if you are not.

Let me know how you make out with that.

Hello.

Still getting this:

Cannot connect to twttr.support@gmail.com@pop.gmail.com #IMAP Errors-> Can’t open mailbox {pop.gmail.com:995/pop3/ssl/novalidate-cert}INBOX: invalid remote specification

Does seem to be going to pop3s and SSL. Mailbox is set to INBOX. Is that correct?

Jack I sent you a screenshot of how it should be setup, let me know if you have it setup that way and are still having trouble.

Hello Ian,

I have my setup exactly the same as your screenshot, still no joy. I’ve used a normal POP client with success as well.

j

I think the problem may be that you don’t have openSSL setup and so your IMAP installation cannot connect via SSL. That’s the only reason I can think of why it wouldn’t work. Let me check with the ValiantHost and see if that’s the case and what they can do about it.

OK the problem was that ValiantHosts PHP setup didn’t have openSSL enabled. They’re going to do a rebuild over night when the servers not in heavy use so tomorrow you should be able to connect.

Let me know how it goes.

Ian,

As of Monday the 17th, I’m still getting the following:

Mon, Jul 17, 2006, 10:33 AM Mail Import Cannot connect to twttr.support@gmail.com@pop.gmail.com #IMAP Errors-> Can’t open mailbox {pop.gmail.com:995/pop3/ssl/novalidate-cert}INBOX: invalid remote specification

Mon, Jul 17, 2006, 05:43 PM Mail Import Cannot connect to userscapetest@gmail.com@pop.gmail.com #IMAP Errors-> Can’t open mailbox {pop.gmail.com:995/pop3/ssl/novalidate-cert}INBOX: invalid remote specification

Same thing.

j

OK thanks I’ll get back with the hosting guys. I’m sure we’ll get it right with them eventually. Hang in there!