HelpSpot Help Desk Software | HelpSpot Blog | HelpSpot Support

How can I strip HTML gobbley goop from incoming emails?

Below is an example of one of these emails. Is there a way to automatically strip everything from the “Content-Type” line down? It seems like a waste to store this junk in the database.

Thanks,
Gina

The April retiree files have been placed in your server and the payroll
authorization has been faxed to 599-1139.

Mabel

Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="=Part527AF894.0="

------------------- TEXT.htm follows -------------------

The April retiree files have been placed in your server and the = payroll authorization has been faxed to 599-1139.

Mabel

3D"Save

3D"Save

3D"Save

3D"Save

begin 644 IMAGE.gif
M1TE&.#EAN@7.8``‘B41,[8N_/U[E-W$6R*,ZF[B(2>56"`(N;LW9&G9MKB MS)VQ=\+.JD=N`$9L`$!H`/CY]TEO_[^_>;JWD9M/O[^?GZ^*6VAJNYD<;1
MMNSPYK7#G%M[’’,K=C>S;C#HG"+/#YE+7#FWZ64O#S[,K4N5U](%-U$7Z6 M4?[^_L?2LX":38^D:'600M;>QM_FT?7V\M;=R$ANFB’+E9Y%GN33>/HV?/V
M[U=X&6B%,8NC7ZV_AHF@7UU^(6^,.V:$+MC>S$IO!(F@8+W(I>/HV\7/L?CY

etc

Hi Gina,

If you have the PHP Tidy extension installed HelpSpot will clean the HTML. Also, if you don’t want HTML emails you can put the system in text mode. In Admin->Settings->System change the render request history to remove or escape and in Admin->Settings->HTML Emails set to off.

Thanks for info, Ian. After some more testing, though, I found the problem was limited to a specific kind of email generated by our GroupWise email system, and we’ve come up with a workaround internally.