HelpSpot Help Desk Software | HelpSpot Blog | HelpSpot Support

Http basic auth for customer.getRequests API method

Is HTTP Basic Auth supported for the API public method customer.getRequests? The documentation suggests to provide username and password in the URL query params, and that works, but I’d need to use basic auth.

Since private API methods support either basic auth or query params, I would have expected the same to be true for this customer.getRequests method.

I cannot use private.request.search method, because the user is not a staff member, but a “portal” user.

Hi Jussi,

Currently it can’t accept that, but perhaps you can use mod rewrite to change it to GET?

Hi Ian, thanks for your reply. I found references on how to capture the HTTP Authorization header into a PHP environment variable using a rewrite rule (see below), but the username and password decoding, parsing and inserting into URL parameters would have to happen in php code. Have not been able to figure out how to do that with apache rewrites.

RewriteRule .* - [E=HTTP_AUTHORIZATION:%{HTTP:Authorization},L]

You could just put a PHP script on the HelpSpot server that accepts your call and then makes the normal API call to HelpSpot and passes back the results or just does the basic auth transformation to GET and HTTP redirects to it (not sure if that will work for what your’e trying to do)