HelpSpot Help Desk Software | HelpSpot Blog | HelpSpot Support

Installer.php problem - rename config.php

Forgive the newbie question. I have downloaded the tar file and unpacked it on my server and configured the config example file and renamed it to config.php, but when I go to installer.php it still says:

“You must rename config-empty.php to config.php and customize config.php before continuing.”

It has read rights just fine (755). Not sure what to do to get it to run.

It is a sql instance running on an apache linux box… I believe… it is a shared host. Please advise. Thanks!

Hi Jeff,

Most likely you don’t have a valid value in cDBTYPE which is required to run and can cause this error if it’s not in place. Make sure you have mysql in there and not another value.

Hmmm… This is what I have in my config.php file.

ex: define(‘cDBTYPE’,‘mysql’);
*/
define(‘mysql’,’’);

Any other ideas? Thanks for your help. I would really like to try this software out, but have to get it installed first. :slight_smile:

Yes, that’s the problem. You don’t replace the text that was there (the cDBTYPE) you put your “answer” in the ‘’ after it. Just like in the example above what you filled in. It should be:

define(‘cDBTYPE’,‘mysql’);

Ah! Perfect! Thanks for the tip. Worked great. Playing around now!

Excellent! Let us know if there’s anything else you need.

I’m having the same issue - I even used the example config.php in the install and added in my DB information when I have it in there as config.php - I get a blank page when running installer.php. If I don’t have config.php there I get the page

“You must rename config-empty.php to config.php and customize config.php before continuing.”

Sounds like you have an error in the config.php. Make sure you didn’t introduce an extra quote or something like that which would break the PHP.