HelpSpot Help Desk Software | HelpSpot Blog | HelpSpot Support

Lookup

Hi,

I am implementing a lookup to our back office program as suggested previously using live lookup. However I have hit a problem…

I have an asp.net page which writes out the lookup xml to internet explorer but when i point the helpdesk to it i get ‘an error occurred. check the error log for details’ when i perform a lookup. in the error log i see:

Type: XML Parser Message: > required

This suggests the xml is not correctly formatted but if i view the source of my asp.net page and do a select all and copy then open a blank html document and paste the xml into it it works!

Any ideas?

here is the xml generated from my asp.net page

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>12334ianwatersian@test.com000000Org

Hi Ian,

The XML looks OK. Perhaps it’s that HelpSpot is getting different XML than you’re getting with the browser. I could be an error is being returned instead or something like that. If you’re using HTTP Get with the browser, make sure HelpSpot is set to GET and not POST.

Yes the lookup is set to http - via GET and the encodng is UTF-8. The lookup path is:
http://apps1-server/sithelpdesklookup.aspx

Here is some test code used in the asp.net page:

XmlTextWriter writer = new XmlTextWriter(Response.OutputStream, Encoding.UTF8);
writer.WriteStartDocument();
writer.WriteStartElement(“livelookup”);
writer.WriteAttributeString(“version”,“1.0”);
writer.WriteAttributeString(“columns”,“customer_id,organization”);
writer.WriteStartElement(“customer”);
writer.WriteElementString(“customer_id”,“5678”);
writer.WriteElementString(“organization”,“perivan”);
writer.WriteEndElement();
writer.WriteEndDocument();
writer.Close();

This code generates the following in a webpage… wel actually this is the source of the page so we can see all of the returned data:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>5678perivan

the error i am now seeing with this test data is:

XML Parser - Mismatched tag - ajax_gateway.php 381

Are there any asp.net examples that work or does anyone reading this have one i can look at?
Any other suggestions?

I just need to get this working then our helpdesk team can start using the software so any further help would be great.

Ian

xml seems to have got cut here is the full version

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> 5678 test

Is it possible that the web server cannot reach http://apps1-server/sithelpdesklookup.aspx ?

The XML looks OK. I don’t know ASP, but shouldn’t there be 2 writer.WriteEndElement();? You have 2 writer.WriteStartElement calls. It seems like the livelookup tag wouldn’t be getting closed (hence causing a mismatch) though the XML output seems OK.

Is there a public internet URL you could send me that I could try it from here?

Yes technically it should have…well spotted. although it does format the xml correctly for you when its output.

You did get me thinking tho about how the helpdesk may not be seeing the same as me. Quess what. you were correct. Within an asp.net web page there is a web.config file which you can specify authentication methods. Withing there i was requiring intergrated authentication. If the user cant be verified then they are directed to a form based login page…

Have setup the lookup page on a seperate site for now on our apps server and all is working! harahh.

Thanks for the help

Ah excellent! Nice job.

In the next release we have some more debugging tools for Live Lookup built in, though you probably have it all straight now.