HelpSpot Help Desk Software | HelpSpot Blog | HelpSpot Support

Mail Rules/Triggers Reassign Bounce with Round Robin

I’m trying to get an inbound email (creating new request) to assign
to a specific tech based on either Subject of email or a keyword/phrase
in body. To make a little more sense, I’ve got a handful of PDF forms
that are submitted to HelpDesk@domain.com and I’m looking to setup
automation for certain forms to go to certain techs.

I realize there are potentially various ways to achieve this, but let
me get a little more specific:

-Using a single Category that is set to Round Robin w/o Admins
-I can easily achieve this using another category, but for growth purposes I’d like to keep within the same category.
-Attempted to use Mail Rules based on subject of email
-Attempted to use Triggers based on ‘note body - now contains - %keyword%’

Both Mail Rules and Triggers work as they should…with one catch:
Because we’re using Round Robin, the new request hits the round robin
and assigns to a tech, but then re-assigns as the rule states. So all
in all, it’s working. But that extra bounce of hitting a different
tech’s queue means that tech gets two notification emails (New Request +
Reassigned) that add to that non-stop ‘ding’ of emails. Obviously not
the end of the world, but just extra notifications that aren’t
necessary.

I’ve checked the ‘Suppress any staff notifications that result from
Action’ which will suppress the email to the second, reassigned to by
rule tech, but not the first tech receiving the nonsense emails.

I’m probably missing something right under my nose, but anyone out there point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance for any help.

FYI: I just replied on the other thread, but reposting here as well! This is probably a better spot anyway.

Hmm interesting. Well, first question is do you have control over the email that is generated when sending in the forms? If so, you could use email parser tags to assign to the correct user from within the email itself and avoid the mail rule and trigger.

If not, there’s not a way currently to easily suppress that default notification on the initial round robin assignment.

If you have control over the email address the email is sent to you could create a new mailbox for these that didn’t do any auto assignment and let the mail rule handle that. Then you wouldn’t have two categories, but just a second mailbox specifically for this.

Sorry about posting it twice…after thinking about it I figured my first post probably wasn’t the best place for it–feel free to merge the two or whatever you recommend.

The email parser tags work perfectly…that’s going to make life MUCH easier, so thank you!

One question about the Custom Field Tags though:
We are using Drill-Down lists for a handful of our Custom Fields. Is there a way to have the tag drill down deeper than just the higher level of the drill down list? For instance, Drill-Down list has “Level 1” > “Level 2”. Level 2 being a sub field of Level 1.

I’ve tried all variations of the ##hs_customX:XXXX## tag and the only one I can get to grab is ##hs_customX:Level 1##.

Suggestions?

As an addition to that last post…I’m testing it further and am finding that although the tagging works perfectly, the assigned technician doesn’t receive the email notification about a new request falling in his/her queue. Is that because I’m using the tags to assign to a specific tech?

Thanks again.

If you take a look at the API field definitions page, about half way down it talks about drill down lists (I know that’s a weird spot for the info sorry). Basically each level is separated by #-#. So Level1#-#Level2.

Yes, currently you won’t get a notification on that. You could add a mail rule to do it. The only thing is that your notification email will be logged in the history in that case. Not sure if you find that to be a problem.

Ian-
Once again you’ve nailed it. Thanks again for the help!

Awesome! Let us know if there’s anything else you need.