HelpSpot Help Desk Software | HelpSpot Blog | HelpSpot Support

More access levels for staff/definable access

We’re still loving the demo version, but are finding that the built-in access levels available aren’t quite enough. We have different departments that perform different functions, and there isn’t too much trust between departments.

Due to the lack of trust, we do not want Dept A to be able to modify/delete tickets that belong to Dept B (although viewing is ok and informational, but not necessary). In order to have this level of safety, we have to set up techs with “Level 2 Support” Access. They still need to be able to re-assign a ticket to a different category in the event it was mis-categorized or the problem isn’t where we thought.

Ticket assignment is done on a “volunteer” basis as techs are available, so they need to see the Inbox for their applicable categories (auto-assignment would not work here for many reasons).

I have been able to perform a workaround for this functionality by creating a filter for each tech that lets them see all the tickets that they have access to, but that is time-consuming to set up and not nearly as intuitive as the Inbox functionality.

Additionally, it would be nice to be able to set up Dept Managers with “Category Administrator” functionality that would let them alter any parameters within their assigned categories, but not give them Administrator access to the whole system.

I would like to see the ability to set up custom access levels, or groups with user-defined access controls. Next version, perhaps?

Hi Chris,

Adjusting the access controls is definitely something we’re considering, but we don’t want to do it at the cost of simplicity. Access controls are usually one of the most frustrating aspects of this type of application as there’s usually dozens of options and when you’re new to the system the implications of them are rarely clear. That said, it is something we are researching, especially the idea of having some type of ‘department head’ ability.

One thing you may want to consider is having different installations for each department. If they never share duties then it would be no problem (other than a little extra maintenance) to run them each their own installations. The HelpSpot license allows this as long as you always maintain enough licenses for each physical user. So if you had 30 licenses with 15 users in department A and 15 in B and a new hire came on to add to A, you still need to buy another license, even though the system would let you add them.

Also, you can setup filters to be exactly like the inbox if you want. You can even add the ‘take it’ button. So setup virtual inboxes that show all unassigned requests in a certain category and have the staffers make that filter their default. You can also set these up as global filters so that you don’t need to do it for each individual staffer.

I’d also be interested in hearing in specific detail what features you would like access controlled and how/why. No need to do this now, but if you do end up purchasing HelpSpot then I’d be grateful if you spent a little time on that so we could use it in our decision making for the version 2 release.

I’d love to be able to allow my staff to run reports, but not give them admin access (I don’t want them to be able to change any settings).

Is this possible at the moment?

Cheers,

Steve.

Not at the moment, but more granular access controls are in the works for v2.