HelpSpot Help Desk Software | HelpSpot Blog | HelpSpot Support

New install - Whoops, looks like something went wrong

Fresh install of Ubuntu Server 20.04
Added PPA for earlier PHP versions so the script would be able to install what it wanted.
Ran the server_deb.sh from https://install.helpspot.com/ and it completed successfully.
Which gave me a server running Nginx, PHP and MySQL.
I then ran the install.sh script from https://install.helpspot.com/ which completed successfully.
With debug on in the config.php I get this:

HelpSpot could not connect to the database, likely due to incorrect credentials supplied in config.php. The error received from the database was: SQLSTATE[HY000] [2054] The server requested authentication method unknown to the client #0 [internal function]: {closure}(Object(Illuminate\Database\DatabaseManager), Object(HS\HelpSpot)) #1 /var/www/helpspot/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Container/Container.php(698): call_user_func(Object(Closure), Object(Illuminate\Database\DatabaseManager), Object(HS\HelpSpot)) #2 /var/www/helpspot/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Container/Container.php(682): Illuminate\Container\Container->fireCallbackArray(Object(Illuminate\Database\DatabaseManager), Array) #3 /var/www/helpspot/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Container/Container.php(443): Illuminate\Container\Container->fireResolvingCallbacks(‘db’, Object(Illuminate\Database\DatabaseManager)) #4 /var/www/helpspot/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Foundation/Application.php(462): Illuminate\Container\Container->make(‘db’, Array) #5 /var/www/helpspot/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Container/Container.php(806): Illuminate\Foundation\Application->make(‘db’) #6 /var/www/helpspot/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Database/DatabaseServiceProvider.php(16): Illuminate\Container\Container->offsetGet(‘db’) #7 /var/www/helpspot/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Foundation/Application.php(585): Illuminate\Database\DatabaseServiceProvider->boot() #8 [internal function]: Illuminate\Foundation\Application->Illuminate\Foundation{closure}(Object(Illuminate\Database\DatabaseServiceProvider), 8) #9 /var/www/helpspot/vendor/laravel/framework/src/Illuminate/Foundation/Application.php(585): array_walk(Array, Object(Closure)) #10 /var/www/helpspot/bootstrap/helpspot.php(86): Illuminate\Foundation\Application->boot() #11 /var/www/helpspot/helpspot/lib/util.lib.php(11): unknown() #12 /var/www/helpspot/helpspot/portal/logic.php(32): unknown() #13 /var/www/helpspot/index.php(19): unknown() #14 {main}

Nothing? Anyone? I know I’m using the free license and that says only Forum support. Some kind of response would be nice.

I don’t personally use the Linux version but am familiar with Help Spot and Linux so everything I say from this point forward is just an educated guess. With that said, have you tried to manually initialize MySQL, create a new user and database, and plug that information into config.php? There’s a fairly good chance doing the database setup manually will solve your problem since the error you’re getting is failed MySQL authentication. Hope this helps!

@mlevesque-fsb I do appreciate the response and it seems it may have been a good thing to try. However I have already implemented a different solution that was painless and I got quick responses to anything asked. I will not post the name in the forum here as my goal isn’t to pull people away from Helpspot. Good luck to you all.

It looks from that error Ubuntu Server 20.04 gave you mysql 8 which is not compatible with HelpSpot currently. I would recommend downgrading to 5.7. I think the specific error that you are seeing here is that the user does not have the mysql_native_password enabled. This is disabled by default in MySQL 8.