HelpSpot Help Desk Software | HelpSpot Blog | HelpSpot Support

Notification of new Request

I’m evaluating HelpSpot and have a very basic question that I haven’t been able to figure out yet…

How can I notify users when a new request has been added to the system? i.e. after someone submits a request I need to make sure the user(s) are aware of the request to work it.

Thanks!

Hi Brian,

Yes, you can do that. It’s actually a per user setting. In “settings” in the upper right corner of the screen under notification check the box that says “Notify on Unassigned New Requests”. Any requests that come in and are sent to the inbox will generate an email notification to you.

I have it set up to auto-assign requests based on category. Is there a way to get an email for new requests with this scenario? Checking “Notify on Unassigned New Requsts” does not do it, I assume because it is not “Unassigned”. Thanks!

Well in this scenario then the person who gets auto-assigned to should be receiving an email notification of the new assignment so long as they have the option to receive email notifications checked. If you’re not seeing that make sure you’re not using the same email as the customer to which the notification would be going (so don’t use your own email to test). Use a gmail or other external account to be the customer.

Ahhh!! That did it. I just needed to create the request from an external email account and then it all worked just like I wanted!! Thank you.

I do have a couple other concerns as I have been evaluating. Maybe you can help me with solutions or consider for future releases…

1. The Customer Id field is free-form entry. This concerns me as folks could enter Id’s incorrectly (misspelled, different names, etc.) and this would mess up reporting. I would rather be able to select the customer from a list or search, etc.
  2. I need a way for my customer’s management to be able to view/report on all requests created by that customer
  3. I need additional reports beyond what is provided; I may just have to develop these reports outside of HotSpot (directly accessing the database for the reports)…
  4. It would be nice if you (outside requestor) could view your request history in a list rather than just one request at a time by ID.

Please give me your thoughts. Thanks again.

Sure,

1. It sounds like you should think about using our Live Lookup API. Live Lookup allows HelpSpot to query your customer data system in real time and can also insert all that customer data for your staff so that everything matches up perfectly. You can read more about it here:
    http://www.userscape.com/helpdesk/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=6

2. You could build a filter for each customer and then use the RSS feed for that filter to build a customer specific page (make sure to check the customer friendly feed option on the filter page). Also in Version 2 you could use the API to make a screen for this.

3. Yes, many customers work directly with the DB for very specific reporting. Of course if you have some you find especially useful let us know and we’ll note them for consideration in a future release.

4. This is something we’re considering for a future release. It is possible to do it now with this modified request check template (http://www.userscape.com/helpdesk/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=147), but it should be noted that this is pretty insecure since anyone can search by email.

My understanding of Live Lookup is that it is basically a data lookup and display mechanism. Can it be used to auto-populate request field data? If so, can you point me in more detail to documentation on this specific feature? (you refer above to “it can insert all that customer data for your staff”)

The information is on the Live Lookup page. Basically you can insert customer ID, first name, last name, email and phone. In version 2 (currently in beta) you can also insert custom field data. If you look at the very bottom of the Live Lookup page you’ll see a screen shot with a button that allows you to insert the data.

You just need to return the insertable customer data with the tag names HelpSpot expects and it will be inserted into the customer fields if the staff member pushed the button.