HelpSpot Help Desk Software | HelpSpot Blog | HelpSpot Support

Open Ticket listing

I’m trying to find a way to build a public list of open tickets in a category that i can post as a link on our intranet. There is mention of pulling a filter directly from the database in the post http://www.userscape.com/helpdesk/index.php?pg=forums.posts&id=4410

I tried creating a global filter and pulling the RSS feed, but the need for authentication hinders the ability for this to be a publicly accessible page (and it seems unwise to produce a line with a user & pass in it for this purpose). Anyone have a notion on how I might do this?

Rich

Hi Richard,

You probably should use the web service API for this. You can read more about that here: http://www.userscape.com/helpdesk/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=28

In looking at the API, there doesn’t seem to be a way that I can pull a filter without having someone log in with a username and password, is this accurate?

If so is there anyway to display the list without require a username and password?

I’m trying to figure out a way to be publicly transparent to our organization.

Rich

You do need to use the private API to pull a filter otherwise the filter would be public which would not be good. You can hard code this in though so people don’t actually have to login, you just do it in the code. Some companies purchase a license for just this use so it’s not an actual users login.

If you don’t want to use the API you would need to work directly with the database which isn’t too hard depending on how much information you need to pull out.

That’s not a bad idea David. One problem with it though is we’ve gone out of our way to have as simple a licensing setup as possible so adding new types of users at different pricing levels adds significant complexity to that. Given that the price isn’t absurdly high, purchasing a dedicated API user isn’t unreasonable in general, but I hear what you’re saying and will certainly give it consideration.

Yes, that approach was considered. It makes it harder thought to create user specific UI’s though. Now there are functions which depend on knowing the user so a generic key approach would be tricky to layer back on.

Some type of free/cheap api user though is something I can give some thought to (after I get 2.4 out!).