HelpSpot Help Desk Software | HelpSpot Blog | HelpSpot Support

Placeholder which sends all public notes back

Hi,

In http://www.helpspot.com/helpdesk/index.php?pg=forums.posts&id=6920, Ian mentions a new placeholder which sends all public notes back regardless of where they came from in the 2.7 release.

I’m guessing it is

1240: Feature - Added email tag which will insert the complete public history of a request.

but I can’t seem to find what the actual tag/placeholder is. Would you mind telling me what it is?

Ken @ freshview (campaignmonitor)

Hi Ken,

In Modify Email Templates it’s listed as “All Public History Notes” the tag itself is ##FULLPUBLICHISTORY##

Let me know if you have any trouble.

No, currently it’s only for the email templates.

Well let me modify that. I think it will work, but you won’t see the replacement in the request history. So when you use it in the history you would just see ##FULLPUBLICHISTORY## but in the email the actual output would be sent. This could cause “weirdness” though as ##FULLPUBLICHISTORY## would be shown in the portal history as well.

Thanks for getting back, Ian. This is close to but, unfortunately, not exactly what we want.

Basically, we want to be able to receive a web form submission from a customer, create a request via the API from the data from the form submission, then add a private note to that request.

If our Public Notes to Customers email template is:

##MESSAGE##

##FULLPUBLICHISTORY##

Then what the customer sees when one of support staff replies is something like:

This is the Support Staff message line 1.
This is the Support Staff message line 2.

regards
Support Staff

This is the Support Staff message line 1.
This is the Support Staff message line 2.

regards
Support Staff

Orginal message from customer line 1.
Orginal message from customer line 2.

regards
Customer

ie. the public note the support staff just entered in is repeated at the top of the full public history.

Ideally, what we would like to do, is use this email template:

##MESSAGE##

##LASTCUSTOMEREMAIL##

and then when we create a request via the API from the data from the form submission, we can mark/label it as an email, so that the ##LASTCUSTOMEREMAIL## works with that note. We’ve tried setting the fOpenedVia parameter to both 1 and Email when making the API call, and neither of them seem to do what we want.

I would welcome any ideas and suggestions to get what we want.

Thanks,
Ken

You could probably use CSS to hide the first element but I suspect that won’t have great cross email client support.

You can’t tell the system it’s an email via the api because emails have other special considerations that would be affected by that. What about actually using email?

So replace your API code with code to generate an email. You can use our email parser api to pass in most of the same info as with the web service api http://www.userscape.com/helpdesk/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=33

Then the system would treat it as an email from the customer as normal and your lastcustomeremail tag would work as expected.

Hi Ian,

We considered sending an actual email, but if we did, then we wouldn’t be able to get the request ID which we would need to add the private note to the request.

We tried creating the request with the private note first via the API, which would then give us the request ID, which we would then use in the subject incased in {}, and sent via an email (as you suggested in http://www.helpspot.com/helpdesk/index.php?pg=forums.posts&id=6920). This works well when our support staff would reply, as the ##LASTCUSTOMEREMAIL## would be properly populated.

However, because the private note is added to the request first (and not the customer’s note), the private note is shown in as the Initial Request when looking at the Inbox, and it is the one that is shown when you click the Initial Request to bring up the preview of the request. This behaviour is highly undesirable, as it is so much better to see the customers request displayed as the Initial Request.

If we could somehow mark which note is the “Initial Request” that would work for us, but I highly doubt that that can be done.

Yes, you wouldn’t want to mess with the initial note flag in the DB… that would be… bad.

OK let me reflect on this a bit. So if the fullpublichistory tag didn’t include the current public note being sent would that solve all your problems and answer all your questions (Godfather reference there)?

It does make sense that the last note which you’re currently sending really shouldn’t be in that history. There are other uses for the tag though where it may make sense, but I think I’ll take a look at that and see if we might be able to make an adjustment there that changes that behavior.

Thanks John. I think depending on context it’s one of those weird things that’s both a bug and a feature. I want to get Ken’s feedback (he’s in Australia) while we consider this further. A separate tag could be a possibility.

That would be perfect! I agree with John, don’t change any known working behaviour. Another tag would suffice.

Thanks!

OK going to look into this further before our upcoming 2.7 release