HelpSpot Help Desk Software | HelpSpot Blog | HelpSpot Support

Putting an entire secondary portal behind a login

I’m looking at using HelpSpot in a configuration where I’d have a secondary portal available only to a subset of our customers.

My main website already has a user account system that can determine whether a user is logged in and is one of these special customers.

Working with the v3 beta trial, it looks like I could just edit the secondary portal’s index.php file and insert a check against my own system right before HS kicks off. If the customer doesn’t have appropriate access I’d just redirect them to a login page and exit the script.

Does that sound like a reasonable way to approach this problem? Is there a better way using anything already available in HS?

Yes, that would be the best way to do it if you want to secure the entire thing. You could do the check and then redirect them to your login page if they’re not authenticated.

An alternate location would be in index.tpl.php if you want to keep it inside the HS templates but if you’re locking the entire thing down then index.php would be fine. You just want to make sure you have notes on that because if someone ever updates index.php they may overwrite it, etc.

Thanks Ian.

It would be great if there was a supported method of hooking some code in to run at the beginning of every portal page request. Something that could live in custom_code perhaps.

Hi Drew,

That’s an interesting idea. We’ll put down to consider for a future release.