HelpSpot Help Desk Software | HelpSpot Blog | HelpSpot Support

Switch of 'Check on Request'

How do I set up for Users to login (how would they register) and check their Support Requests? I see a reference to HelpSpot internal and blackbox, but haven’t got further than that.

If that is too hard, I may instead remove the ‘Check on Request’ menu item. How do I do that? I figure I need to modify the Portal Templates but need advice on where and what to change.

Thanks
Patrick

Hi Patrick,

The system is setup out of the box for customers to be able to login from the portal. There’s nothing you need to configure if you’re just using the built in authentication.

Thanks Ian,

Then I’m missing something here; where do they go to register? To explain…Users access HS from within our App, so they don’t register for anything as a matter of course and we respond to their requests via email. HS is of course external to that, so is there a page they need to get to to become known to HS? HS captures their email address, so that just leaves password I’d guess?

Cheers
Patrick

They don’t have to register. They can go to the check request screen and enter the email and resend password if they want, but that’s only necessary when they want to lookup their old requests. There’s no other functionality to the portal so that’s all they need to do if and when they ever want to check old requests.

Patrick, essentially no log in is required for this. They just enter the password / access key that was assigned to the request when it was generated.

Each one is unique so it will take them to the relevant request and not require a login as such.

Hi,

Where can I edit that template so I can insert some explanatory text? It is causing some confusion among our customers (and me for that matter) e.g. it should say something along the lines of…

'Please log in to our Support system using your EMAIL ADDRESS and Support system password.

If you are logging in for the first time, use the Retrieve my password option and the system will send you an email with your password.’

I have looked at all the templates e.g. request.check.tpl, and can find no mention of the current text (that I can then modify)

Thanks
Patrick

Yes, request.check.tpl.php is the place. The text is in variables for translation but you can just add in your text in the spot you want it (top or next to the field).